Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Follow Friday (#6) House of Night by P. C. Cast


For those of you who don't know what Follow Friday is, it is a weekly meme hosted by Alison at Alison Can Read and Rachel from Parajunkie. This week's topic:

Q. It's that pesky magic book fairy again! She has another wish: What imaginary book world would you like to make a reality?

Of course the first place I have to say is the Harry Potter universe. Who doesn't want to go to Hogwarts? Broomsticks and wands, cauldrons and potions, cats and owls. It was made for me.

But since Hogwarts is an obvious answer, I'll mention another story world that is absolutely fascinating:  the world of the House of Night series by P. C. and Kristin Cast. These vampires (spelled vampyres) in the book are teenagers when they are Marked with sapphire crescent-shaped tattoos on their foreheads, dubbing them as "fledglings." The change to an adult vampyre takes a few years, if a fledgling's body doesn't reject the change, which results in horrible death. As an adult vampyre, the crescent mark is filled and more intricate, sapphire tattoos sprout, masking the eyes and forehead.


house of night series

The vampyres in this world are different than most--instead of being bitten or exchanging blood these vampyres are about genetics; "junk DNA" is triggered by adolescent hormones. Once they are Marked they are sent to the House of Night boarding schools--these books are set in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Also unlike in other books, these vampyres don't burn up in the sun, but since it can be very painful to them, their classes take place at night. "Vampyre Sociology 101," fencing, and equestrian classes are only a few of the classes offered at the House of Night. It's an exotic, refreshing twist from reading about normal high school. Not to mention there are many swoon worthy vampyres. (Loren Blake, for example. Yowza!)



House of Night badges by year
The House of Night website can be found here.
Also on the website, there is a place to download your picture and mark yourself. Here is a shortcut.
The author, P. C. Cast's, blog.

What story world would you love to live in? Have you read the House of Night? What do you think of it?

7 comments:

  1. Hi!--new follower!

    Harry Potter was one of my picks, too!!! I started reading a P.C. Cast book, but wasn't getting into it--but your description makes this sound *really* good, I may have to give her another try!!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    (\__/)nymfaux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly my choices! :)
    What house do you think you would be sorted to? :)

    And HoN! I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nymfaux- Thanks so much for the follow! And I definietly recommend the House of Night series. I've only read up to the fourth book so far, but I plan to re-read the first four and then finish the rest.

    Petra-What house would I be sorted into? Hmm...So many good choices! (Lol.) I would like to think Ravenclaw--or Gryffindor, but I'm not exactly brave. I do honor intelligence, so hopefully Ravenclaw. What about you? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping through. I still need to read the House of Night series. I've heard lots of good things about it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aimee: The same here, Ravenclaw, or Gryffindor, but I'm not sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hogwarts is a really popular answer. Lol. Almost every answer I've seen has it. House of Night OMG! That would be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I'm looking for your contact info for a book review/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete